Frankfort Kentucky Shopping
In the first half of the 19th century, there was an increase in agriculture and industrial development in Frankfurt, Kentucky. The first cars arrived in the city as early as 1900, and in the 1910s, car dealers, workshops and car accessories formed a growth industry in Frankfurt.
The automobile also fuelled the growth of business and leisure travel, with the result that the previous hotel burned down in 1917. The construction of the capital began in 1905 and was completed in 1909, and what is now called The Old Capitol was eventually designed by Gideon Shryock and completed around 1830. The Old Capitol would remain the state Capitol for the next 80 years.
Since then, major construction has been carried out by the states and municipalities in the city centre, with the construction of the Kentucky State Capitol Building and Frankfurt Congress Centre completed in 1999. The expansion of the city centre with a large number of new office buildings, hotels and restaurants has contributed to the revaluation of the city centre.
The core of Frankfurt's historic business district remains the same as it appeared decades ago, although the trend line may be more positive today than it was a decade ago. Although much of the major development has taken place on the east side, populated by off-ramps to Interstate 64, Frankfurt is following the national trend in commercial development.
The private sector has led the revitalization of downtown, but developers and businessmen have no choice but to build in older areas, as businesses crowd into smaller inner cities.
The industry has been hit hard by the growth of the prohibition movement, which has led to the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs and the closure of many shops in the city centre. None of its banks failed, and its high-end retail stores, restaurants, and hotels have given a boost to the local economy, but not without its share of problems.
At the time, the new capital was thought to be far too suburban, as it was just 10 blocks from Main Street. In the 1950s, there was a strong residential development, and businesses were rooted on the ridges that led to the east side of the city. The first suburban shopping centers were built in the 1960s, and three centers were to open by the end of the decade.
Frankfurt grew by 1,095 in 1810 and to 3,702 on the eve of the Civil War, but there were some areas that city leaders considered dangerous and devastated. Proposals for urban regeneration began in the mid-1950s, so the city began to expand its historical boundaries to boost growth. The city's population doubled from 11,492 to 21,356, largely due to suburban development, for example, when the Capitol Heights suburb, which began to grow in 1920, was annexed in 1950. In 1958, they began to buy land in the so-called North Frankfurt Urban Conversion Area and began to develop what is now North Main Street shopping centre.
Although both the North and South had sympathizers in Kentucky, the state sided with the Union and took a neutral stance during the Civil War. Two forts were built to strengthen the city's defences and were crucial when John Hunt Morgan unsuccessfully attempted to retake the capital in 1864. In 1900, the city had 9,487 inhabitants, and the buildings that today form the historic business district of the city centre were built during this period.